[MPlayer-dev-eng] patches.txt - short review

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Aug 30 13:01:42 CEST 2004

Attila Kinali writes:

> 8:
> >Try to avoid uploading the patch to a web or FTP site, send it directly
> >to the mailing list. The fewer steps it takes us to get at the patch the
> >higher the likelihood for it to get reviewed and applied. If your patch
> >is so big you cannot send it by mail, try splitting it into pieces.
>
> I'd say that the "try to avoid" should be changed to
> "do not". I also say that the last sentence should read
> "try splitting it into smaller pieces"

OK

> 9:
> >If your patch seems to be ignored,
> >please resend it and mention that you got ignored.
>
> Resends should actualy never happen. Anyone who really cares
> about this list has a private mail archive and can look for patches.
> A better aproach would be to send a reminder and ask for opinions about
> the patch _in_reply_to_the_patch_. The in reply to part is the most
> important here. Discussions about patches should be kept together in one
> thread so a "scrollback" can be easily performed. And it's especialy for
> me very annoying to read 100s of mails just to find out that an earlier
> patch was discussed again.
> Also new versions of a patch should be send as a reply to the previous
> thread.

What about:

 9. Give us a few days to react. We try to review patches as fast as possible,
    but unfortunately we are constantly overloaded with work, be it MPlayer-
    related or from our day to day lives. If your patch seems to be ignored,
    send a reminder asking for opinions as a reply to the original patch and
    mention that you got ignored. We are interested in your work and will
    eventually either accept it or reject it with an explanation of what we
    disliked about your patch. New versions of patches should be sent as
    replies to the original threads to conserve mail threading.

Diego