[MPlayer-dev-eng] Adding threaded functionality to mplayer

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Aug 25 15:43:20 CEST 2004

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Ed Wildgoose wrote:
>
>> What would people say to adding multithreaded coding to mplayer?  The
>> idea would be to run the audio decoder and video decoder in their own
>> seperate threads.
>
> AFAIK, this issue has already been discussed and ended up in a fork
> called MplayerXP ( http://mplayerxp.sourceforge.net/ ), but seems to
> be inactive for at least a year.
> I don't know what the current devs think about it though.

Hmm, interesting I hadn't seen that before.

I don't propose anything as radical as that.  The idea is simply to let
the audio loop run asynchronously mainly.  Probably also the video
decoder thread and the main input loop.  At the end of the day, they are
quite async processes apart from the obvious issue of synchronisation
every so often to do frame drawing.

Just an idea.  Mythtv for example uses an architecture like this.

Ed W