[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch: Low latency audio enhancements

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Mon Aug 23 19:21:19 CEST 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 19:30, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What do I need to do to try and get this code included please?  It's a
> pretty trivial patch, but it allows mplayer to work with audio cards
> that only have a two period sound buffer.

What effect does this patch have on previously unbroken cards that
allows more than two period sound buffer?

The reason I ask is that for some reason, OSS output (through alsa's
oss emulation) seems to work better than -ao alsa, even -ao esd works
better. I suspect this is because -ao alsa uses smaller driver size buffers
than -ao alsa? Does your patch reduce these even further?

I haven't found a way to figure out what period size my sound card has,
infact, I can't seem to find much documentation on alsa at all, apart
from the mostly empty wiki :)