[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio quality

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 20 11:16:35 CEST 2004

Glyco-Radio Network writes:

> If I use MPlayer (rather than encoder), I've found the following works:
>
> -dumpstream mms://mydomain.com/mystream -dumpfile test.blah
>
> But I get a 8Khz recorded stream and have no idea what format its
> actually dumping too.

It gets dumped in whatever format it originally was.  Have a look at
the output of MPlayer to find out which format it is in.

> I would like to increase the quality.

I'm extremely curious how you want to increase the quality of an audio
stream that has already been recorded at low quality settings.

> I would prefer it dump it to a WM9 pr MP3 format (with tailored
> settings).

Why WMA9?  Why would you want to store your precious data in a
proprietary format?  Use MP3 or Vorbis instead.

> I *looked into* Vorbis as you suggested but have no idea where to start
> or how to record a stream of audio via command line as simply as
> -dumpstream with MPlayer.

-dumpstream does not record/reencode, it just dumps the audio in
whatever format it was in originally.

Anyway, this is getting very offtopic for a development mailing list.
Please try your luck on mplayer-users.

Diego