[MPlayer-dev-eng] More -fPIC fun

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Aug 14 21:28:22 CEST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 20:02, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:

> Finnaly. Compiling MPlayer with -fPIC
> IS VERY BAD IDEA. You are loosing about 5% of the performance and
> that's why mplayer tries to compile everything staticaly.

Thanks, that clears up something I've been wondering but been to afraid to ask,
about -fPIC killing performance. Gentoo supposedly being pro-optimization
and such, I couldn't quite figure out why the hell they were trying to force
-fPIC and not let mplayer configure give them nice set of optimized
CFLAGS....