[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fw: bug? which leads to vo/encoder reinit during playback / transcode

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Aug 13 23:13:20 CEST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 23:57, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> The change to ffmpeg12 to set the field flags has been added several
> months ago.  In my experience ffmpeg12 is now much more reliable than
> libmpeg2, especially over corrupted mpeg streams (happens in broadcast
> a lot).  Actually, is there any reason why libmpeg2 is still the
> default decoder for mpeg?

Up until lately, speed. The old libmpeg2, which according to Arpi was optimized
for gcc 2.95.3, beats ffmpeg in many cases, even when compiled with gcc3.4.
The new libmpeg2 seems less crashy on bad streams, but is also always slower
than ffmpeg, in my tests. Current libmpeg2 in CVS is broken though, so let's not
rely on benchmarks though...