[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT format

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Aug 8 18:19:01 CEST 2004

J. Grant writes:

> I was considering using the NUT format in my software, but first I had
> some dev questions:
>
> Is the NUT format going to be promoted by an independent organisation to
> mplayer?

It's planned to give it its own website etc in order to make it a tad
more independent from MPlayer.

> I think if NUT is solely promoted and supported by mplayer the NUT
> format will not become ubiquitous.  However, an independent
> organisation (website etc), giving away reference implementations of NUT
> under BSD
> licences would foster wider support IMO.

It's planned to release a reference implementation under an X11 or
similar license (BSD without advertising clause).

It's also planned to write demuxers for other players like xine, vlc,
winamp, maybe more

> An alternative you might like to consider if not pushing NUT
> independently would be to consider the NUT library having a similar
> exception to GLIBC, whereby anyone can use the source, for free or
> proprietary purposes, because that furthers the adoption of the NUT format.

Where have you seen such an exception?  AFAICT glibc is LGPL with no
exception.  For some parts that were originally external BSD and
similar licenses apply.

Diego