[MPlayer-dev-eng] Benchmarks; libmpeg2 vs ffmpeg vs libmpeg2

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Aug 4 18:28:03 CEST 2004

Shortest summary: ffmpeg always win, new libmpeg2 is 10% slower than the old one.

Shorter summary: new libmpeg2 always loses, but ffmpeg sometimes also loses against
old libmpeg2, but i havent completed benchmarking what kind of files ffmpeg loses at,
going to benchmark different vqscale & bframes combinations tomorrow ;-) However,
since I'm so impatient, I'm going to hit "send" on this email already today and
reply, talking to myself, tomorrow, or day after, while wearing asbestos suit.
Also TODO tomorrow, benchmark with real vo.

CPU: P3 coppermine

Benchmarked with multiple runs of
mplayer -ac dummy -ao null -vo null {-vfm ffmpeg|-vc mpeg12} -benchmark

Deviant results discarded, and the rest averaged.

First sample, "Kate & Leopold" trailer from the DVD.
MPEG2 720x576/25fps @ 7000kbit

libmpeg2-v0.3.1  VC 38.08
libmpeg2-v0.4.0b VC 45.06
ffmpeg           VC 37.92

Second sample, random mpeg lying around
MPEG1 352x288/25fps @ 1150kbit

libmpeg2-v0.3.1  VC 14.00
libmpeg2-v0.4.0b VC 16.15
ffmpeg           VC 12.90

Third sample, random mpeg lying around II
MPEG1 352x240/29.97fps @ 1600kbit

libmpeg2-v0.3.1  VC 22.07
libmpeg2-v0.4.0b VC 25.15
ffmpeg           VC 20.52

Fourth: Reencoded sample 1 with vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:vqscale=4, no b frames

libmpeg2-v0.3.1  VC 26.79
libmpeg2-v0.4.0b VC 31.44
ffmpeg           VC 27.50