[MPlayer-dev-eng] Pixelformat negotiation

Jiri Svoboda jiri.svoboda at seznam.cz
Thu Apr 29 23:51:13 CEST 2004

Hi,
on directfb list was question why YV12 format is supported mga g200 by
mga_vid and not by vo_directfb. While digging in the logs and source I've
found following.
Support of YV12 on g200 in mga_vid is done in software by converting it to
YUV2 by the driver. I was wondering why also mplayer does not this
connvertion in conjuction with diretfb and falls to RGB. So I've loooked and
log and found that during negotiation of csp mplayer does not bother with
anything else than YV12 nad than by RGB with swscaler.

So my question is why in case that codec supports only YV12 and vo_drier not
we imediately fall back to RGB using swscaler? Wouldn't it be better to try
at first other YUV formats? This could save some proccessor time - YUV ->
YUV conversion is faster than conversion to RGB.

This could be done by two ways:
- by automatic inserting of vf_yuy2 or similar filter in the same manner
vf_scale is inserted
- by favorising YUV formats in vf_scale in case of YUV format on input
instead of RGB ones

Comments?

					Jiri Svoboda