[MPlayer-dev-eng] FourCC type strings and YUV codecs

Shan sweber at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Apr 29 03:02:33 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to add one of the oldest Packed YUV 4:2:2 formats (Apple's
original one) to ffmpeg's libavcodec and realized the damn thing only
supports the reverse Intel style plane order.  So instead of
overhauling the whole thing I thought I would turn to trying to include
it in mplayer's mpcodecs only to find no support for full range (ie,
JPEG) values, only the CCIR recommended ones are used.  So now given I
would have to a lot more patching on both which one would be more
worthwhile for me to spend my time on?  I thought it should be
libavcodec given it is the main codec library used for everything but
then why didn't other mplayer developers fix the YUV support in that
instead of having separate support in mpcodecs?

And about the way type strings (aka M$ FourCC) are used in mplayer and
ffmpeg why the hell are they stored in damn Intel x86 byte order when
they are meant to be human readable ASCII identifiers.  This is where
projects like VideoLAN, JMF and quicktime get it right.

I can fix these problems I just seeing how open minded and rational
people here will be to the changes given the stupid rigid comments I've
read from certain individuals I'd rather not name.

Shan - the developer trying to make things better.