[MPlayer-dev-eng] Nut sample_rate_mul

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Apr 27 19:31:55 CEST 2004

Hi

On Monday 26 April 2004 12:37, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Another nut issue. I realized that the way sample_rate_mul works
> forces time_base_nom to be a factor of the samplerate for audio
> streams. Do we really want this? Think of idiotic cases where someone
> wants to use 88200/1 time base for 44100 Hz audio, OR (and I'm not
> sure whether we want to allow this or not) the case of live recording
> with imprecise sample clock, where the user wants to use realtime
> usecs from the system clock as the time unit for both audio and video.
>
> Recommended solution: replace sample_rate_mul with a rational number.
> Could be in units of time_base, or units of 1/seconds... (Which do you
agree

> like better??)
IMHO 1/sec, its simpler

> BTW, should we allow time units/timestamps for audio that don't match
> sample counts? It could make slight trouble for players (more
> difficult for primitive player apps to sync A/V), but it's very useful
> for the first phase of live recording, before you resample audio to
> compensate for bad-quality soundcard clock. Of course, personally I
> recommend doing the resampling _during_ recording, so you never write
> a file with bad timestamps, but some users might want to do
> high-quality resampling and not have cpu time to do it live. Ivan and
> I were arguing about this on irc...
#mplayerdev or #mplayersux? iam asking cuz IMHO development related things
should be disscussed on the earlier, where the logs get posted to
mplayer-dev at mphq

btw, i guess i also should mention that iam appearently not subscribed to
mplayer-flame anymore or the #mplayersux logs arent posted there, no i dont
care at all, iam just mentioning it so noone is surprised, if i dont awnser

[...]

--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)