[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: divx2svcd-0.5.1

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Mon Apr 26 21:45:19 CEST 2004

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>Hi
>
>On Monday 26 April 2004 21:10, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>

>>Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>>

>>>   Hi, Nico Sabbi!
>>>
>>>Sometime (on Monday, April 26 at 19:49) I've received something...

>>>   Which ones exactly?
>>>

>>CSPS, packet_rate_restriction, system_video_lock, pstd_buffer_size_bound
>>maybe no programs ever uses these fields, but setting them correctly
>>(considering
>>that lavc doesn't follow any bitrate/buffer constraint)  doesn't hurt
>>

>lavc tries to follow what u specify, see TFM, allthough lavc is not perfect at
>CBR, and CBR is not default
>
>btw, improving CBR and ratecontrol in lavc is near the top of my todo list
>
>[...]

mine is not a critic: I like lavc, I use it everyday for archiving;
(setting vqmin=l:min=1 and
vqmax=4 often averages to 2Mb/s,
and the quality is really very good encoding to mpeg2 if the source is
clean).
BTW there are problems with buffer underruns when you set vbv=1835.

If you need I'll prepare some test clip when I have some time.