[MPlayer-dev-eng] documentation: ati tvout...

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Sun Apr 25 22:00:08 CEST 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 08:32 am, gabor wrote:
> hi,
>
> imho the docs for ati tvout support should be updated.
>
> i didn't send a patch, because i don't really know what should be
> written, but here are the facts:
>
> in 2.3.1.5.3. ATI cards:
> "
> PREAMBLE.  Currently ATI doesn't want to support any of its TV-out chips
> under Linux, because of their licensed Macrovision technology.
> "
>
> that is simply not true..
>
> there are imho 3 different drivers for ati cards (for X):
> gatos: i don't know much about them..they're opensource and support
> tvout in some cases

They have a page about TV-out specifically, and a xfree driver specifically
for tvout at http://gatos.sourceforge.net/theater_out.php

> radeon: the standard driver included in xfree, called 'radeon'

This doesn't seem to support TV in X.org or XFree 4.4.

> ati-driver: the binary-only driver developed by ati.
>
> now, this ati-driver:
> -is the only option if you want to play 3d games for example,because it
> is the only one which has an opengl driver which offers the same
> features as the windows one

Nitpick: unless this changed since a 3d programmer I know looked at it, they
were missing a lot of OpenGL extensions.

> -it is a little slower than the xfree driver in 2d
> -it has problems with -vo xv when playing back HIGH resolution
> (1400x1050 for example) files (btw. the official ati response is that
> we-know-we-will-fix-it-for-now-use-vo-gl)

That would explain some problems a friend has been having.

James L.