[MPlayer-dev-eng] Important Apple YUV explanations in a nut shell

Shan sweber at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Apr 25 05:00:06 CEST 2004

Hi,

Just to give you all some insight into the reasons for the various YUV
Packed encodings.  There are a host of others but they are rarely ever
used such as internal Sorenson yuv9, MPEG-1 myuv and the 16-bit YUV
ones.

The native 8-bit mac classic capture and rendering format is in the
order: Y0CbY1Cr

With no clamping on values and two's complement to show balance for
color differenced values

Which I like to call "Packed image Y' signed CbCr 4:2:2" - types "yuv2"
"yuvu"

The native 8-bit Microsoft rendering format is in the order: Y0CbY1Cr

With CCIR clamping on values and no two's complement to show balance
for color differenced values

Which I like to call "Packed CCIR Y' unsigned CbCr 4:2:2" - types
"YUY2" "yuvs"

The native 8-bit mac OSX rendering and Microsoft format is in the
order: CbY0CrY1

With CCIR clamping on values and no two's complement to show balance
for color differenced values

Which I like to call "Packed CCIR unsigned CbCr Y' 4:2:2" - types
"2vuy" "UYVY"

Shan