[MPlayer-dev-eng] design for motion-adaptive deinterlacer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 25 02:58:54 CEST 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 02:39:21AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Hmm, you mean apply strong temporal denoise to areas with no motion,
> > and none to other areas to avoid ghost artifacts? IMO it's a pretty
>
> no.
> it's teh current result-effect of denoise3d/hqdn3d filters.
> the goal would be doing ME and then MC of back-frame and do
> temporal filtering afterwards. So it will filter moving objects
> properly, without causing ghost effects.

I see.

> > good idea, but temporal denoise can still cause strange fixed textures
> > to appear in animation (where you have large regions of almost solid
> > color) that don't move when the object moves... :( Any idea how to
>
> it doesnt matter. if they look stable, they will be filtered as
> being stable. so the result will be solid noiseless zone.

Well it looks "stable", but then if you do temporal denoising, you end
up with a slightly textured solid region on a person's face, that
doesn't move with them when the camera pans across...and that looks
rather unsettling. :)

> > work around that? IMO it requires identifying the whole "object" as
> > moving rather than just the parts that change at the edges (this
> > happens naturally in live action but not so well in animation).
>
> you mean the edge of objects?

No, I mean the whole object. That's the problem I describe above...

> it was inspired by some hardware, called GrandTec ViewTV, an external
> tv tuner & pal/vga converter designed to use with high-resolution monitors.
> (i'm using a 21" EIZO monitor for tv watching, at 720x576x150hz or 1024x768x75hz)
> this device has builtin motion-adaptive (and imho even motion compensating?)
> deinterlacing. at leats it can do smooth scrolls in CNN and such news-bar
> sites, without decreasing image resolution (ie. no blending fields).
>
> (the suprise is that this device is too cheap (~80$) to do something big
> magic with heavy dsp and so, like done in 10000$ broadcast-level
> deinterlacers)

Hm, interesting. Have you tried looking inside the firmware? :)

Rich