[MPlayer-dev-eng] Nut, few ideas

Ville Saari 114263 at foo.bar.org
Thu Apr 22 12:29:49 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 06:30:02PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > What kind of moron would type "less foo" for an unknown file without
> > typing "file foo" first?
>
> Someone looking at a file that "file" doesn't recognize. Does YOUR
> copy of file recognize nut already? :)

It does! I have a line like this in my /usr/share/magic:

0	string	NMzV\037_\004\255	NUT audio/video container

That of course is my own addition, but when nut becomes common enough,
the out-of-the-box file commands of all the major OS distributions
should catch it quite soon.

And even without specific klowledge about the format, any file command
can tell the difference between text and binary files. Less actually
handles binary files very well, but if I was forced to use some not so
advanced pager, then I certainly would use "file foo" first to make sure
that "foo" really is text and if not, use od.

--
 Ville