[MPlayer-dev-eng] Logical bidi subtitles (fribidi)

Amir Hardon hardon at actcom.co.il
Wed Apr 21 16:30:59 CEST 2004

Hi,
The current implementation of fribidi in mplayer tells fribidi to calculate
the text direction, this is good, but for a perfect world.
The popular proprietary players are not calculating the text direction but
assuming Left-To-Right, this caused most (if not all) of the existing
subtitles files being written incorrectly in order to be showed correctly.

Making the same situation for Mplayer is easy and requires changing one line,
(For mplayer-1.0pre3try2 its line 1083 in subreader.c) from:
base = FRIBIDI_TYPE_ON;
to:
base = FRIBIDI_TYPE_LTR;

But a better solution would be adding a runtime option for choosing the
direction(LTR, RTL, or auto). I am willing to implement this if someone can
guide or point me to some documents about adding new arguments, and how to
check for their values.

	-Amir.