[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed Apr 21 05:04:52 CEST 2004

* Ivan Kalvachev <ivan at cacad.com> [2004-03-15 01:54:08 +0200]:

Hi folks,

its now some weeks ago when the last posting in this thread came.
Since I'm not subscribed to mplayer-legal, I'm not up to date.

What happened in the last week ?
Did you find any agreement ?

<snip>
> 3. We need to choose representative body. Mails to Peter
> should be send from the name of all developers. It may be
> one developer, lawyer, or all developers could compose and
> edit the future mail. In all cased everybody should help
> as mach as they can.

If you didn't find one, I'd offer to do that job.
I'm quite neutral, since I didn't contribute any code to MPlayer.

<snip>
> 6. We should decide what do we want.
> Hardware? OK.
> Documentation? Great, we need every documentation we can
> have (the interesting ISO documents cost money).
> Licenses & Patents? Hmm if this doesn't conflict with GPL.
Using patented concepts conflicts with GPL, IMHO.

<snip>
> 10. We need to calculate the possible revenue if copyright
> case is won. Just follow the logic - subtitle reader is
> essential for DivX movies in non English countries. This
> player is more expensive because it can run DivX movies.
> => people won't buy it if that functionality is not present.
> Now you see why they want to negotiate. Such "worse"
> scenario may mean bankrupt for them.
hmm, probably a donation/fee per-sold-Unit could be a good ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481