[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed Apr 21 00:26:18 CEST 2004

* Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> [2004-04-21 00:12:16 +0200]:

> D Richard Felker III writes:
> > I'm against any kind of "patent-warning" in MPlayer. It discourages
> > people from using good codecs. Better to get people used to having all
> > the codecs they should, so that they're outraged when some stupid
> > corporation tries to tell them they have to stop.
>
> That's one way to see it.  The other is: Awareness of patent problems
> needs to be raised so that people see the need for free formats and
> have an incentive do something about it.

Right. We all (all coders, opensource projects as well als SMEs) must
act now - before the patent nightmare comes true in other regions
like Europe. We (FFII - http://www.ffii.org) are doing much lobby work
in the EU parliament and commission for save Europe from this disaster:
http://swpat.ffii.org/

I would be really good, if OSS projects like mplayer also would show
no tolerance to software patents.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481