[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Tue Apr 20 15:05:42 CEST 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 22:23, Gabucino wrote:

> BTW using free codecs/formats won't help anyone, as it doesn't matter
> if you store the newest Kill Bill 2 DivX release in ASF or NUT,
> you'll be taken away and noone will care of the actual fileformat -
> only the content. (hint for biased people: that doesn't mean I'm
> against free stuff)

That's an entirely different matter, best dealt with authors of file
sharing applications warning people about downloading copyrighted
material, and those not using file sharing software for it are smart
enough to know it already.
Despite the huge popularity of it, there are actually some people who
might have uses for audio/video on computers for purposes other than
getting around the painfully long wait for movies to appear in cinema
and having to put up with the awful conditions therein :)

A few years ago, someone working for a company doing in-flight
entertainment systems for airline companies, asked me if there was a
legal way to play DVDs on Linux. Apart from one company vaguely
mentioning a software DVD player for linux, there was none.

While some people couldn't care less about the patent status and
legalities of the software they use in their own homes, some people are
forced to take this into consideration.

Although a message warning about patent status borders on the limit to
religious fanaticism alá RMS and Debian, I think it's a good idea to
include one. It will raise awareness of this whole mess, and might gain
a few more people to the demonstrations against sw patents, whether
such an event be in EU or not. The message should however not be in the
form of an obnoxious popup alá the fun and frequent huge "Your computer
is too slow to play this" popups that used to pop up every few seconds
with the GUI :) Not a "Press Y to accept you're using patented codecs
and might be breaking the law" in order to proceed, either. GMPlayer
needs a status bar or something, or perhaps an OSD info screen that
could be toggled, which would display the video codec, audio codec,
bitrate and such info...
As for the CLI, how about instead of:

Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

display this:

Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4) (possibly
patent encumbered)

And a FAQ entry explaining what (possibly patent encumbered) might mean,
in some countries.

A question, though, would (possibly patent encumbered) apply to divx.com
codecs? heh...