[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposal of a dvdnav layer

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 13:36:56 CEST 2004

Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton said:
>
>>Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I'm very happy that we have entusiast what is ready to take
>>>care of DVD menus.
>>>First I want to ask the usual stuped question "What
>>>documentation/standarts I need to have about DVD (and menus)".
>>>Despire the pure mpeg2 decoding.
>>>

>>http://dvd.sf.net has links to most DVD navigation information.
>>

> Hmm quite intersting.
> Thanks a lot, I think that have everthing nessesery:)
>
> I would like to ask my question from another point.
> What are the official standarts for DVD and how they
> could be acheaved (bought?)
>
> Best Regards
>    Ivan Kalvachev
>   iive

The official standards are availiable from
http://www.dvdforum.org/format-format.htm

Extract:

3. License Fees are required for the right to use the Format Books. The
License Fee is US$10,000 per DVD Format for each Product Category, as
specified in Schedule A-1 of the Format/Logo License Agreement. The
License also allows use of the DVD Logo when applicable.

     Example: If a company wishes to manufacture DVD-Video players, they
shall pay US$20,000 since they need to obtain Licenses for DVD-Video
Book in addition to DVD-ROM Book, both to be used for Product Category
II (DVD players).

     Example: If a company wishes to manufacture DVD-RAM drives and
DVD-RAM discs, the licensee shall pay US$20,000 since they need to
obtain licenses for DVD-RAM for Category I Products (DVD discs) and
Category II Products (DVD drives).

The US$5,000 (or \600,000) the company had paid to Toshiba or to DVD
FLLC at the time they signed the NDA and purchased the first DVD Format
Book will be discounted from the total payment due under the License
Agreement.

Extract ends.

That is why I don't have a copy! Of course, if you have a spare US
$20,000 lying around, you can easily get a copy. :-)

But with thanks to the ogle project, we have all the information we need
to create very good DVD players in linux.

Cheers
James