[MPlayer-dev-eng] B frame handling

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Apr 12 19:56:09 CEST 2004

Heya,

> The packing like in AVI is absolutely forbidden. Each NUT packet must
> containe EXACTLY ONE coded frame, whether audio or video. Putting
> multiple frames in a single container packet is not allowed.

Good. Now how to let mplayer handle it... Here's my current problem. For
Matroska mplayer takes the difference between two consecutive packet's
timecodes as the packet's duration. This will be screwed if the
Maktroska demuxer hands over the pts over as they are stored in the
Matroska file (e.g. for a coded order sequence of IPBB and 25fps the
timecodes would be 0ms, 120ms, 40ms, 80ms).

Solution one is to re-order the timestamps but not the video packets in
the demuxer. This does work - badly. The playback is choppy, and A/V
sync is often off by one frame. Likely because the codec cannot output a
frame after the P frame...

Solution two is two re-create the packed bitstream in the demuxer. Yuck.

Solution three is to... well... modify other parts of mplayer to handle
this correctly. But how? Do you have any suggestions or other solutions?

> P.S. I HATE B FRAMES

Me too, me too...

Mosu