[MPlayer-dev-eng] Feedback wanted regarding dvd playing in mplayer.

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Sep 28 13:18:00 CEST 2003

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:27:53 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <James at superbug.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> So, I can see that the main requirement from libdvdnav for mplayer is
> that your application should be able to do it's own buffer management
> and also separate stream from events.
> My problem, is how do we insert special control data into the stream, if
> we don't control the format of the buffer. Basically, we cannot separate
> the stream from some of the events, because the event's action is linked
> to a particular video frame.

I dont know much about mplayer's dvd subsystem, but wouldnt it possible
to do the event handling stuff inside mplayer and pass all the information
needed to libdvdnav ?
libdvdnav could provide some functions for this propose.

> Another problem arises because the read_physical_sector() function in
> the current libdvdnav will decrypt the data with libdvdcss if needed, as
> well as actually reading the sector from the DVD.

Mplayer does that already.

> I am also unclear as to where the "mplayer caching" happens.

IIRC it's mainly in the demuxer layer, but you can enable another
file based cache with -cache which forks a process who does caching.
(But i dont know how this exactly works)

HTH

			Attila Kinali

--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,