[MPlayer-dev-eng] sending mplayer video to stdout?

Christopher Cope cope at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 24 16:53:15 CEST 2003

hi,
im interesting in a "distributed movie player" over multicast, where the
master will play and can pause a movie, and the other participants' see
their stream play/pause in sync. a possible way to do this would be to
have the participants simply receive an rtp stream via the live.com
enhacement. if i could send a copy of the video from my mplayer to stdout,
then live.com could read from stdin. possibly, this could allow me to
pause my stream, and have the other participants' videos pause as well,
though im not sure if i pause the video from my end, it would break the
pipe going to the live.com streamer.

so my question is, can/how do i send the video from mplayer to stdout? ive
tried -vo /dev/stdout and -o but can't get it to work. i didnt see this
anywhere in the docs. if its there, i apologize. also, has anyone tried
something like this before with mplayer?

many thanks,
chris