[MPlayer-dev-eng] Seek in non-indexed AVI, a solution?

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Sep 21 11:46:25 CEST 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 05:05:55 -0300 (ART)
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gsbarbieri at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I don't know AVI internals very well, so I may be wrong.
>
> But if instead of requiring the user to use -idx or -forceidx, couldn't
> MPlayer calculate just few blocks ahead, enough to search 1 minute or
> so... And we can have a cmdline toggle for disable that.
>
> That's possible, resonable?

Yes it would be possible and was disscussed some time ago.
The reason why this idea was dropped was that it needs additional
cpu which could render a movie unwatchable on a slow machine.
MPlayer's philosophy is not to use more cpu than necessary unless
the user wants it.

			Attila Kinali
--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,