[MPlayer-dev-eng] Intent to get Avisynth working under Linux

Kevin Atkinson kevina1 at umbc.edu
Sun Sep 14 03:29:11 CEST 2003

Hi,

First off let me apologize in advance for this off topic post.  But I
figured this was the best place to ask.  If you know of a better place
please let me know.

In the coming months I plan to get Avisynth (http://www.avisynth.org/)
working under Linux with the help of Wine/Winelib.  I have started a
sourceforge project, Avisynth-Linux
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth-linux/), to this effect.  I
also wrote a C API for Avisynth so that Gcc compiled programs can use
the VC++ API of Avisynth.

Based on what the Wine people are telling the easiest way to use
Avisynth under Linux is to run Avisynth in a separate process and use
some sort if IPC to communicate with it.  This is what I plan on doing
to start with.  I particular I plan on using (possibly named) pipes to
communicate with the process.  This is not very efficient but it is
the simplest.  In fact I have written a small windows application to
that effect.  It will run an avs script and save the raw data as a
yuv4mpeg file.  If this is run with Wine the outfile can be a FIFO
(named pipe).  Of course this is just a start.

Ideally I would like to be able to run Avisynth without the need for
Wine in a similar manner that Windows codec are used in Linux.  My C
API takes care of the C++ problem, and Avisynth doesn't have a GUI.
So I am thinking that it can't be THAT difficult.  But I have no idea
what to do are even where to start.  Therefor I am asking you, the
ones who worked on getting the Windows codec to work, for help.
Avisynth is a very popular and powerful GPL tool used in Windows and
being able to use it natively in Linux would be a big plus.
Furthermore, unlike the windows codec the full source is available so
there would be a lot less guess work.  So, do you think it would be
possible to do this, and if so how?  Or even better would some people
be willing to help code this thing for me?

Since this is already off topic please direct replies to
avisynth-linux-devel at lists.sourceforge.net.

Thanks in advance.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org