[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Request for patch test (forced subtitles)

Levi Bard levi at bard.sytes.net
Wed Sep 10 18:52:52 CEST 2003

>> That's a good example of why it should be disabled by default and
>> controlled from the command line. Many English speakers also
>> understand Spanish, at least in the US. Certainly more than understand
>> Elvish... :)
> I get your point. But imho ppl who really understand more than one
> language are a minority. It's sad but i think it's so.
> Take the case of Joe user (wich speak only lang xx) who watch a dvd wich
> use forced subs. He start watching and after 1H there is 5 min wich he
> can't undestand. So what does he think ? MPlayer suck.
> imvho for dvd playback we should stay close to the way standalone
> player work. And advanced users like you won't have any problem to
> add one more option to their config file.

I have to agree.  It is my opinion that forced subtitles should be enabled
by default, since they are generally only used in situations where most
viewers will need them: blocks of Elvish speech in non-Welsh areas, blocks
of Spanish speech in a US/Canada release, etc.  As long as there is an
option to remove them, I see much benefit and little harm in displaying
"forced" subtitles by default.

Levi