[MPlayer-dev-eng] cruft removal

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 30 02:34:15 CET 2003

Hi,

> Here is a new updated list:
>
> -- means it has to go
> +- means there is no agreement yet
>
> remove now:
> -- HTML documentation (hu, it, zh, de)
huh, is there an xml version already?

> -- vf_eq
ok

> -- one of the two debian directories
imho both must go, they are both useless & broken
debian packagers use their own version anyway

> -- audio plugins (obsoleted by audio filters)
except volnorm, afaik it was not ported yet, but is one of the
most useful filters

> +- libflac/
should stay, it was discussed already (reason is same as libfaad2)

> +- TVout/fbset
should go, actually the whole TVout dir is very obsolete
(it comes from mplayer v0.01, which was matrox (mga_vid) only...)
the scripts made by us should be moved under TOOLD, 3rd party utils
like matroxset, fbset etc should be remoevd from mplayer

> -- fibmap_mplayer.c
do not remove it, it is required for libcss mode.
instead disable compilation and installation of it unless --enable-libcss
(if its not done yet, if so, then left as-is)

or think of removing libcss mode at all, including libcss hooks from code

> -- cleanup TOOLS/
agree

> remove eventually:
> +- libmpdvdkit2/
should be removed asap, its getting very outdated to official libs,
and all of our changes were merged back to official libs so no more
reason to keep this

> +- libmpeg2/
only when ffmpeg12 is faster

> +- mp3lib/
only when ffmp3 is faster or at least not so much (2x) slower

> +- .raw font support
i support removing it, but it may be still usable for some ppl

> -- etc/cygwin_inttypes.h
isnt it still requires for win32 builds? (dont forget mingw32 too)

> remove when ported to ffmpeg:
> -- libmpcodecs/native/
> -- vd_cinepak
> -- vd_cyuv
i doubt that ffmpeg's cyuv will ever (or soon) reach the speed of vd_cyuv,
it uses libmpcodecs's DR and stride capabilities.
anyway its obscrure codec, no one uses it, so who cares...

> rewrite:
> -- vo_gl (there is vo_gl2)

vo_gl was written for DRI, gl2 for SGI
they both opengl but wiht different hardware and implementation,
gl2 is slow as hell with DRI, and vice versa
anyway nvidia driver (which is based on sgi libs afaik), needs gl2

> -- vo_dga
> -- vo_fbdev (there is vo_fbdev2 and another vo_fbdev in G2)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu