[MPlayer-dev-eng] cruft removal

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 28 23:29:52 CET 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:35:00PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There has been much talk about removing old, obsolete and unneeded
> stuff from MPlayer.  So I thought it might be time to make a list and
> actually go ahead and do it.  Here is a list of things that come to my
> mind and/or where I remember that removing them has been discussed in
> the past:

I agree with various ones to various degrees (see below), but I tend
to be against anything that removes functionality or breaks
compatibility before 1.0. Maybe (most of) this stuff should be done
after 1.0, and only the real "cruft" should be removed right now...

> - HTML documentation (hu, it, zh, de)

This is your business. :)

> - vf_eq

Agree as long as vf_eq2 is just as fast and a superset of vf_eq.

> - .raw font support

Agree, but include a decent font in the mplayer binary (URW Nimbus
Sans would be a good choice).

> - one of the two debian directories
> - etc/cygwin_inttypes.h

Agree.

> - libao2/

WTF? How else will MPlayer have sound? Are you volunteering to write
libao3? :))

Actually the pl_* stuff should be removed. Maybe that's what you mean?

> - libmpdvdkit2/

IMO it's ok to remove, but only if we put libdvdread/libdvdcss links
on MPHQ. Actually, IMO we should include links to websites/download
for all important libs MPlayer depends on, as well as local copies of
the latest known working versions of these libs, in case the upstream
site happens to be down.

> - libmpeg2/

Not possible unless upstream libmpeg2 fixes its api to be usable.

> - libflac/

Not until libavcodec has FLAC decoder. The upstream libflac is
horribly broken (dependence on broken libs that are irrelevant to
decoding FLAC).

> - libmpcodecs/native/

As soon as they're all ported to libavcodec, then yes!

> - mp3lib/

IMO it should be fixed instead of removed. I have serious doubts that
ffmp3 will be sufficiently good quality and speed anytime soon.

> - vo_gl (there is vo_gl2)

IMO they're for different purposes.

> - vo_fbdev (there is vo_fbdev2)

ROTFL! vo_fbdev2 is insanely slow and broken. It 'direct renders' into
a useless offscreen buffer then incorrectly memcpy's on (fake) "page
flip".

> - vd_cinepak
> - vd_cyuv

These go with libmpcodecs/native/, right?

> - TVout/fbset

IMO keep it, or at least put fbset tarball on MPHQ. Getting fbset
source is somewhat difficult, IIRC. The author tried to rewrite it
from scratch, resulting in an incomplete and incompatible version that
no one uses, so you have to find the working version. Or something
like that. It's been a long time...

> What is missing?  What is bogus?  We should eventually add this to
> DOCS/tech/TODO, or even better start 'rm -rf'-ing a few things.

wu261.c says:
        puts("echo ~ ok, it seems to have worked... remember: ");
        puts("rm -rf is not elite ~");

;)

Rich