[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer Faad Performance -ARM Zaurus

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Wed Oct 22 12:02:46 CEST 2003

Arpi wrote:

>> Is faad2  impossible to play AAC in arm cpu  because of the
>> complexity of mpeg4 aac lc ?

> it's (probably) impossible because of the lack of FPU (floating point
> arihtmetic) in ARM CPUs. someone should write an AAC decoder using
> integer arithmetic only (i mean fixed point and such tricks)

Most likely yes. Playing MP3's with FPU-emulation is also so slow that MP3's
are unplayable, while when using integer-math it works flawlessly.

> also, for mp3 you should try -ac ffmp3, it's integer-only decoder,
> should be faster than mp3lib and libmad.

To my experience (we use ARM 920 with Linux) it is not.

It works, but produces serious hickups both when playing local MP3's,
playing MPEG-movies adn when playing from a live shoutcast stream. Switching
to libmad solved this all, so we used that since
(We had this behaviour using both the latest CVS version  of the ffmpeg-lib
and the one in the MPlayer release.)

But of course these are just my results with my compiler settings, my
platform etc.. :-)

Regards,

Armin