[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: bsd vs. linux - encoding benchmarking

Alex Beregszaszi alex at fsn.hu
Wed Oct 22 00:45:22 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > I must agree with that. Encoding on my Linux box (Intel celeron
> > 450MHz) is a little faster than on FreeBSD 4.8 (Intel celeron
> > 800MHz). I wonder why and I don't understand it. Just a fact.
>
> someone should go and trace it down.
> it must be a bug, be it in ./configure, cpudetect.c (or libavcodec's
> own cpudetect code), or anything else, but there must be something

configure:
Maybe the proc/cpuinfo created by the linux emulation is just buggy,
what about preferring TOOLS/cpuinfo over the linux emu one?

cpudetect:
it doesn't seems affected as only the SSE check has some tweaks for
FreeBSD, but the Cel450 doesn't contains SSE anyway.

--
Alex Beregszaszi <alex at fsn.hu>
(MPlayer Core Developer -- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/)