[MPlayer-dev-eng] help_mp-en.h

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 20 23:44:56 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:06:51PM +0200, Torinthiel wrote:
> Could somebody please expand MSGTR_EnterTelecineMode?
> "demux_mpg: 3:2 TELECINE detected, enabling inverse telecine fx."
> I get that movie is telecine, so conversion to remove it is enabled
> automatically. But what is 'fx'?

This message is very misleading. I thought it originally said "fix",
not "fx". Perhaps someone committed a 10l to make it even more
confusing??

Anyway what the message means is that your file/dvd contains "soft
telecined" NTSC content, i.e. progressive frames but with special
headers to help a settop player telecine it at playback, and that
MPlayer is compensating for these to smooth the framerate back to
24fps rather than telecine-stutter (where every other frame is 50%
longer).

IMHO the message should read "24fps progressive NTSC content detected,
switching framerate." or something to that effect. Using the word
telecine here confuses users A LOT... :(

Rich