[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: -of mpeg

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 20 21:54:36 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:35:57PM +0200, Dan Christiansen wrote:
> On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 08:37 PM, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >IMO the patch can't hurt since it's already unusably broken right
> >now... (A/V sync will shoot off to hell)
>
> How about using libavformat for muxing? They have quite a lot of
> formats implemented.

Maybe, libavformat is kinda broken last I checked though. Anyway it
won't help -- the fundamental problem is that some containers don't
allow you to store repeated frames without encoding them twice, and
thus mencoder has to actually be able to encode the frame twice (or
somehow output a dummy no-change frame for the selected codec). This
requires fixing mencoder, preferably by rewriting the A/V sync (or the
whole program) from scratch.

Rich