[MPlayer-dev-eng] [NOVIRUS] [Patch] - Patch to get mga_vid with times

Ferdinand O. Tempel ftempel at linuxops.net
Sun Oct 19 22:00:53 CEST 2003

Hey,

Decided to subscribe to this list for a while afterall.

Anyway, attached you'll find my last produced patch.
This patch not only makes mga_vid load and work in the 2.6.0-test7
kernel, but does the following too:
* Add decent devfs entries
* Use the new cdev structures to set up the character device(s)
* Remove some redundant checking of various things
* Some bits and pieces which I can't recall without looking at the code
again

It's all in one big patch, which leaves a very ugly drivers/mga_vid.c
behind due to all the kernel selecting #ifs and ifdefs. It also adjusts
the Makefile to utilize kbuild in case it encounters a 2.6 kernel.

I verified it compiles on a 2.4 kernel too (it does), but it has also
devfs enabled. Hence I didn't check whether or not it builds, loads and
works on a system which doesn't have devfs enabled! If you have
problems, please let me know.
You probably noticed that I'm not the best C coder around (actually, I
rather dislike C), but this is something I needed done, so I picked up
on it. I'm posting it here so other people can benefit from my work, and
maybe even expand and improve on it.

Lastly some thanks to Luca (a.k.a. kronos) for his input regarding the
module locking. You were right, it's not needed anymore, so I removed
it. Also thanks to Alex Beregszaszi for his invaluable input. Your "This
is broken" was amazingly helpful in debugging the problem you have with
this patch.

Now it's time to rip out all that ugly #ifdefs, and make this a real 2.6
only module for my fresh -test8 kernel.

Thanks.

Ferdinand O. Tempel