[MPlayer-dev-eng] bsd vs. linux - encoding benchmarking

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Sun Oct 19 19:51:15 CEST 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Arpi wrote:

> > 	I have not installed any of the win32 codecs.  So for DV
> > 	_de_coding mencoder would have been using libdv, correct?
>
> imho not, you really should check mencoder's output on all the tested
> systems (but at least on fastest two) to find the real cause.

	Selected video codec: [ffdv] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg DV decoder)

> btw the default order according to codecs.conf is qdv (win32), ffdv
> (libavcodec), libdv (libdv), mcdv (win32)

	So I was using ffdv (that is what I intended) after all.  Good -
	the intent was to use the same thing on all the systems.

> btw 2, may i assume that you sued exactly the same versions of the tools on
> all those systems? (i mean that suse 8.1 includes some version of mencoder)

	Correct.  I built everthing used in the tests from fresh cvs
	update'd versions.   Suse 8.2 has an old version of mplayer but
	I made absolutely certain that it was not present in the system
	(and for Suse 9.0 I hear that mplayer is no longer included so I
	do not have to worry about installing an old version).

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz