[mplayer-dev-eng] mpalyer sucks! (not: autoconf suxx!)

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Sun Oct 19 00:01:41 CEST 2003

>--[Moritz Bunkus]--<moritz at bunkus.org>

> > Oh, and none of the replies to my posting did contain any arguments... just
> > the usual lame rant.
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/889/

*yawn* as most of these rants, it's written by someone who doesn't understand
the tools. If you'd read the comments you'd see his mistakes and his
"arguments" refused. Most problems with configure come from broken
configure.ac, or from the use of ancient autoconf versions (like the 4.5
years old 2.13). And I've seen a lot of stupidly broken configure.in from
people who couldn't be botheres to read the documentation.

> configure to cvs (very evil) or requiring every programmer who works on
> the buildchain to have the very same version of all auto* because
> they're so incredibly incompatible...

autoconf 2.57 has been released 2002-12-03, automake 1.7 2002-10-19. That's
three quarters of a year you have autotools without any changes in the
interface. They've been shipping in recent distributions anyway, so the tools
are there. (And anybody who doesn't make his autoconf.ac depend on recent
versions of the autotools should be shot anyway...)

Btw, there's always the preconfigured tarball snapshots option for casual
developers. So next try, please.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.