[MPlayer-dev-eng] New OpenGL vo module (based on vo_gl2)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 16 11:18:52 CEST 2003

Hello!

I played around a bit with the vo_gl2 module (it's almost a rewrite now)
and think I made some improvements that might interest you (I originally
named it vo_glsimple, although I have to admit it isn't so simple...).

Main improvments:
  - better looking OSD especially with freetype (it isn't scaled
together with the video but draw for the current display resolution)
  - OSD is drawn by OpenGL (might save some processing time for applying
alpha, but not much)
  - support for more image formats ( all that OpenGL supports, RGB/BGR
8, 15, 16, 24, 32 bit)
  - no more garbage at borders when switching into fullscreen mode

To make the code a bit easier to understand (at least for me) I
  - removed support for multiple textures for the video (i.e. your
OpenGL implementation must support 1024x1024 textures for many videos),
shouldn't be too hard to reimplement now in case anyone's interested...
  - removed some debug messages
  - changed the indentation style ( I'm sure some of you won't like
mine, sorry )

The patch mpl1pre2_glsimple.diff should change everything that's
necessary to compile mplayer with it (you will have to start configure
after applying).
Please tell me what you think of it.

I'd also like to know if and when I should use mp_msg to print messages
instead of printf (I simply did it the way vo_gl2 does it...)

Thanks for your time,
   Reimar Döffinger