[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] Quicktime yv12 support

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 15 12:54:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Arpi wrote:

>> >rawi420 is for i420 data not yv12
>> But yv12 *is* I420 (is i420 same as I420? At least it's not in the specs.
>no. yv12/YV12 is Y, V, U planes while i420/I420 is Y, U, V planes.

Hmm. Let me explain better:
- I save planar Quicktime 4:2:0 frames with Y, U, V plane order (="I420")
- Mplayer identifies it as having fourcc "yv12" which it thinks
  is having plane order Y, V, U

Either "yv12" plane order is Y, U, V or mplayer misidentifies the
fourcc. Or all the programs I have tried are broken (Bcast2000,streamer).

>> Note that yv12 and YV12 are very different things.
>why? codec fourccs are case insensitive!

According to what? Both M$ site
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/archive/devdes/fourcc.mspx
and the fourcc list
http://www.fourcc.org
list codecs in both lower and upper case, and that wouldn't
make sense if it would be case insensitive.