[MPlayer-dev-eng] SiS vidix - a few clarifications

Jake Page jake at CS.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 14 20:45:50 CEST 2003

Couple clarifications on the clarifications ;)  ...

As Thomas said, I wouldn't recommend running VIDIX under X11.  That's what
Xv is for, and the VIDIX stuff was based on the Xv driver anyway (I think
*most* if not all of the VIDIX drivers were based on the respective Xv
drivers...)

As for "memory management", this is an issue with VIDIX in general, not
just the SiS driver.  It's no different than any of the others - not that
this is a good thing at all.  It would be great to have a generic memory
management API for the linux framebuffer...  sisfb does have a nice API
that can be used for this, of course, we just need something in the REST
of them :)

For the bridge detection - I didn't want to require the latest (or even
2.4.21) Linux kernel, because IMO it *is* a bit too new...
I didn't want to make people upgrade to a new kernel just to use mplayer.
Also, this driver was written months ago and hasn't really been modified
that much since.  Actually, I don't think that VIDIX is not necessarily
linux-specific, either - I think it has a "winvidix" port, for example?
I suppose that Linux-specific #defines could be added to use the ioctl if
it is available, which would give more accurate info... (and be a lot
simpler).  Not that I have tested on anything other than Linux...

Thanks for the feedback Thomas!  I admit a bunch of it is pretty hacky,
but considering, it works surprisingly well (for me at least ;)
when used to play video on the framebuffer (which IMO is the usefulness
of the VIDIX drivers).  Yeah, I had been planning on trying to clean it up
a bit more before submitting for inclusion in mplayer, but it doesn't
look like I'm going to have much time to work on it, so I figured the
best way to improve it is get it out there for everyone to bang on it!

I will try to fix the large overlay bug and broken detection of two
overlays, though, when I get a chance...

-Jake