[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS]use emphasis tag instead of capital letters?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Oct 14 04:10:01 CEST 2003

œȻ writes:
 > > Capitals for emphasis should be avoided, I've already removed many,
 > > but apparently not all.  It would be best if you could send patches
 > > that remove the capital letters in favor of <emphasis> tags in the
 > > English documentation, I'll apply them.  It should not be too
 > > difficult for you as you can remove them one by one as you find them.
 >
 > Then what about lines like this:
 > <emphasis role="bold">NEVER install a setuid root
 > <application>MPlayer</application> binary on a multiuser system!</emphasis>
 > the <emphasis> tags is already used but there are still capital letters in the
 > emphasised sentence.

They are redundant IMHO.  <emphasis> should either be around "never"
or around the whole sentence.  Patches welcome.

 > also some other questions:
 >
 > 1. sometimes MPlayer is used with <application> tags, sometimes not, and
 > sometimes we use mplayer, is there any rule about which should be used in
 > different place?

MPlayer is the name of the project, mplayer is the name of the
compiled executable.  So you would say

  "MPlayer supports many different video out drivers."

but

  "Run 'mplayer -vo help' to see which ones you have."

I'm undecided about the <application> tags.  In the past we removed
all <B> HTML tags around MPlayer because many were forgotten anyway.
OTOH it's always a good idea to add quite a lot of semantic markup..
Anyway, we should be consistent and either add or remove them
everywhere.  Opinions?

 > 2. the link tags in the document sometimes include the word 'section', for
 > example:
 >
 > see the <link linkend="gui">GUI section</link> before compiling
 >
 > sometimes it does not include the word, like:
 >
 > Installation instructions can be found in the
 > <link linkend="sorenson">Sorenson video codec</link> section
 >
 > I think we should not include 'section' in the link, at least we should use
 > just one style.

100% agreed.  I'd also go for the solution without section.  Patches
welcome.

Diego