[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer has now been ported to OpenVMS (almost)

Mark Berryman mplayer at theberrymans.com
Sun Oct 12 21:04:53 CEST 2003

I have successfully built and run MPlayer on a VMS Alpha system (a
surprisingly easy port with most of the issues being the differences
between the DECC compiler and the GNUC compiler).  I have only one real
issue: while mplayer works fine, it is rather slow.  Currently, the only
output devices I have are x11, gl, and gl2.  Each of these requires an
RGB input which means everything I've tried to play so far (avi, mov,
mpeg, and DVD) must pass through a yuv2rgb filter.  As you are aware,
this filter is not yet optimized for Alpha.  I've also encountered a
need for an optimized IMDCT filter.

Is anyone working on an Alpha version of these transforms?  If not, is
there anyone who could work with me as I try to figure out how to write
them myself?

Thanks,
Mark Berryman

P.S. The port is currently based on the pre2 release code.