[MPlayer-dev-eng] ASX Regression

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 6 18:09:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:57:25AM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:

> Gabucino,
>
> Have to had any thoughts on putting back the fallback to playlist processing?
> I just need to know were this is going. This change has caused some traffic
> on the mplayerplug-in mailing list. Even though I have documented that
> mplayer 0.92 is recommened/required.

If the url is supposed to be a playlist (.asx, .m3u, etc.) then pass
-playlist. Otherwise don't.

OR

Fix the playlist parsing code to make sure it immediately fails on
non-text data and make sure it has no exploitable overflows and crap,
so it doesn't make mplayer hang forever on unrecognized files and
doesn't open up people who aren't using streaming stuff to
vulnerabilities.

OR

Make fallback optional and disabled by default, and have mplayerplugin
pass -fallback-to-playlist or whatever when calling mplayer.

Rich