[MPlayer-dev-eng] file formats and subtitles

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Nov 19 22:11:02 CET 2003

Hi,

> Of all the file formats MPlayer can play, which ones can contain
> subtitles?  I was under the impressions avi's could for some reason, but
> I can't find any such thing in the demuxer source.

AVIs can contain subs - but there's only a VERY limited number of apps
that support this (AVImux GUI,
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Video-Zeug/AVIMux%20GUI/index-eng.html).
mplayer is not one of them.

> I know ogg can contain text subs. (and vobsubs?  am I reading this
> source correctly?)

Ogg/OGM can contain simple text subs (SRT), but so far no application
has been written that would deal with VobSubs in Ogg/OGM. Of course it
IS possible to implement that. It's just that no one has done that.

> But what about avi, mov, rm, etc?

Dunno about rm, but at least MP4 (which is based on Quicktime = mov) can
contain some kind of subs, but there's only a Windows app available that
can handle those IIRC.

The most complete (if you can call it that) container regarding sub
support is probably Matroska at the moment: SRT, SSA/ASS and VobSub can
all embedded into Matroska files (meaning that there are apps that can
work with these kind of subs unlike Ogg for which simply no apps exist -
although the container itself can handle them).

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)