[MPlayer-dev-eng] How do I synchronize audio and video stream correctly after a seek in .rm

rgselk rgselknospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 11:03:14 CET 2003

Hi,

As some of you may have noticed I am experimenting with realmedia
streams from omroep.nl.
Yesterday I discovered how to detect keyframes in a real rtsp stream,
and I fixed indexing and seeking within a (-dumpstreamed) real stream
(No SEGV anymore for me :-).

The next problem is synchronizing the audio and video stream correctly.
The audio and video keyframes are not there at the same time. Not even
close. It happens a lot of time that they are about 2 seconds apart
from each other.
After the seek the resulting 'A-V' figure is 'a bit' off. This is
corrected very quickly if I use '-mc 10 -autosync 1' but I would like a
better solution.

Is it possible that
1. after a seek one stream waits for the other to catch up
2. decoded audio is skipped until it matches the timestamp of video
3. silence is inserted in audio until video catches up.
4. or something else?

Kind regards,
  rgselk.

PS: Before someone asks for patches w.r.t. keyframe detection and index
and seek fixing, I added a lot of debugging statements and I think I
should remove them first before sending something to the mailing list.