[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure vs. configure

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Mon Nov 10 11:43:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:18:40 +0100
Torinthiel <torinthiel at wp.pl> wrote:

> One from me. What is the difference between setting initial value of
> detection to yes or to auto? I don't see any. And I think I should,
> otherwise there wouldn't be 2 different options. And, maybe because of
> the fact that I know something about programming (no, not about MPlayer
> internals but general), I prefer having an option of forcing configure
> to include it (not that I had to). And by forcing configure to
> autodetect every time I deny myself this option.

This is how it works currently:

Everything that can be autodetected, will be autodetected
(that's about 99%)

If you use --enable-XXX you you know what you are doing and
force the option on, thus disabling autodetection.

If you use --disable-XX you dont want XXX and disable
overriding any autodetection.

This is IMHO how it should be it gives total control over
what the configure script does.
(i had a lot probs with autoconfs behaviour that
--enable just forces autodetection on, which lead
to modification of the configure script when it didnt
work how it should)

and to put everything together: i'm against this patch

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu