[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure vs. configure

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sat Nov 8 20:32:39 CET 2003

Gabucino said:
> Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>> I confirm that this is bug, and it alwasy have been bug.
> No, I think this is a very very useful feature, only autoconf-lamers
> prefer
> the other behaviour.
Give examples

> Do you know how frustrating it is, when autoconf just simply won't _force_
> enable the requested feature, just because it's broken detection system
> doesn't work? (Rudiger: I'm not interested)
Who cares about autoconf?

> It's much simpler to fix its detection bug in the created Makefiles, than
> in the well-known gigantic ./configure mess.
WTF? oh Who cares about autoconf?

>> If you need to enable something which configure test fails
>> then the right way is to edit the config.h/config.mak,
>> not through configure.
> No, that can't be automated. I'm against changing current behaviour.
OK, i'm wrong. The right way is to write correct detection.
The logic is simple. The detecton work as mplayer work.
If detections doesn't work then mplayer wont' work too.
Of cource there are some options that don't have tests and cannot be
detected.
They should remain as they are.

I attach the file i made. I would like
to hear argumets for each different detection.

If you don't have objections. I will commit.
( there should be at least one bug;)

here is the list of changed detections
_vidix (there is second check for _vidix)
_setlocale
_termcap
_termios
_shm
_macosx
_smbsupport
_directfb
_dga
_mga_vid
_xmga
_ggi
_aa
_svga
_fbdev
_png
_jpg
_gif
_sdl
_win32waveout
_directx
_nas - only merge, it already check for yes&auto
_dxr2
_dxr3
_libfame
_ossaudio
_arts
_esd
_sunaudio
_mlib
_sgiaudio
_dvdkit
_css -will it be removed?
#_dvdnav - it is commented already ;)
_cdparanoia
_freetype
_rtc
_liblzo
_mad
_vorbis
_theora
_xanim
_real
_live
_iconv
_libdv
_zr
_tv_bsdbt848
_qtx
_xmms
_flac - cosmetic "! test" -> "!="
_inet6
_gethostbyname2
_lirc
_lircc

I have not tried to changes these, but i will (later)
_win32
_libavcodecs

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev