[MPlayer-dev-eng] cruft removal

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 1 06:47:07 CET 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:51:11PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> D Richard Felker III writes:
>  > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:32:37PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>  > > -- means it has to go
>  > > -? means it's new - discuss
>  > > +- means there is no agreement yet
>  > > ++ means it was rejected
>  > >
>  > > ___________
>  > > remove now:
>  > > -----------
>  > >
>  > > -? etc/inttypes.h
>  > > +- HTML documentation (it, de)
>  > > -- vf_eq
>  > > ++ debian/
>  > > -- debian-build/
>  > > -- audio plugins (obsoleted by audio filters) except volnorm
>  >
>  > Agree.
>
> Also with etc/inttypes.h?

I don't really care what's done with inttypes.h, but maybe someone
else does. Any libc5 users still? When I said agree, I just meant I
agreed with your assignment of -?/+-/--/++ to them.

>  > > +- TVout/
>  >
>  > Definitely not!
>
> I just had a look, most of these scripts could be collected into one
> IMHO.  Anyway, I think this belongs in TOOLS/ as a subdirectory.  What
> about moving it?

Moving it to TOOLS is fine with me. There's more than just scripts
though. Matroxset and con2fb are very important to anyone using
matroxfb for TVout.

>  > > ___________________________________________
>  > > remove when equivalent available in FFmpeg:
>  > > -------------------------------------------
>  > >
>  > > -- libmpeg2/
>  > > -- mp3lib/
>  >
>  > Why? No one agreed on these. IMO libmpeg2 removal has nothing to do
>  > with ffmpeg, but rather with getting upstream libmpeg2 fixed so we
>  > don't have to patch it.
>
> I understood that as soon as ffmpeg was just as fast as libmpeg2 there
> was no reason to keep it around, but i'll give you the benefit of the
> doubt.

Well IMO it's good to support more decoders for the sake of choice.
Perhaps one will be buggy and help reveal bugs in the other. Ideally
we'll get to the point where ffmpeg is faster and upstream libmpeg2 is
fixed (so there's no reason not to remove it) but I doubt either of
those will happen soon...

Rich