[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: wishlist again

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed May 28 22:59:28 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Oh. Try this: -ao pcm -srate 8000 -channels 1. That will make the
> output very small during the first pass so it won't waste disk space,
> but a/v will still sync. Unfortunately you have to waste a little cpu
> time decoding the ac3, but this should be done for proper a/v sync
> anyway since -oac copy won't catch broken ac3 frames.

Thanks. I'll give a try. That's valuable to know that "-oac copy"
doesn't guarantee perfect sync. The only major puzzler remaining in my
mind is what frameno.avi is for. I've tried encoding both with and
without it, but I didn't notice any difference. It seems that mencoder
drops or duplicates frames whenever it has to in order to keep sync in
every situation.

Jonathan Rogers