[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: wishlist again

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 28 22:34:13 CEST 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:13:34AM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >Huh? It does that as-is. Perhaps your DVD has pcm audio...??
>
> Yeah, it copies the AC3 stream for me. However, it would be nice if it
> could just drop the AC3 stream, as it's usually not used in the final
> output of a two pass or three pass encoding. It seems that using
> -nosound causes mencoder to completely ignore the audio stream, so it
> doesn't bother keeping sync.

Oh. Try this: -ao pcm -srate 8000 -channels 1. That will make the
output very small during the first pass so it won't waste disk space,
but a/v will still sync. Unfortunately you have to waste a little cpu
time decoding the ac3, but this should be done for proper a/v sync
anyway since -oac copy won't catch broken ac3 frames.

Rich