[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mac OS X native audio output

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Thu May 22 01:52:23 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 09:10 PM, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I just updated it to fix the issues Alex pointed out, as well as a few
>>
>> other things. I think it's ready for prime time now :)
> Okay, ready to commit (and made the needed Makefile changes, as you
> forgot them ;), but now I've a question: should mplayer prefer -ao
> macosx over -ao oss?

OSS is non-existent on Darwin since there is no, and probably never
will be, entry for the sound card in /dev/. (It's simply not the way
it's done on Darwin - AFAIK /dev is only used for drives, terminals
and serial ports.) So it really doesn't matter. About the Makefile,
etc., I did indeed change it, I just forget to resend it ;)

Devros, the developer of MPlayerOSX, notified me that there's a bug
where 22050Hz audio stutters. I believe that it's due to a bug in the
mplayer resampler which doesn't handle 32-bit float audio too well.
Speaking of which, the usage of float audio in MPlayer seems far from
widespread - there's no support for it in pl_volume either. I know
nothing about DSP, so I don't think I could fix it. Attached below is a
version which refuses to handle anything but the native audio format.

I need to rewrite the entire module using the PortAudio mac output
module as a basis anyway. First of all, that will allow me to use
native APIs to convert the audio (and possibly gain the 1% advantage in
CPU speed ao_sdl has), and second, it's BSD licensed, so I could use it
anywhere I want, such as in ffplay or XMMS.

Actually, in it's current state, this output module isn't any better
than ao_sdl. But it's a good thing to have anyway ;)

- Dan